Hello There, Guest! Register
Enjoy our site and services? You may donate to help fund server and domain costs. Donate Here for special benefits. You have donated $

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Innotab game APK on non Innotab equipment
Hey all,
I'm working on getting my kid's Innotab content moved over to other equipment. All legally bought games and I have one Innotab Max to create the APK files. When I get the files over to the other devices (Android tablet) the app launches and is in the launcher but it closes immediately back to the home screen. Logcat attached. Seems like it has a lot of parent errors. Does anyone know if it has a "master" APK on the device that it calls to when you load these games? Anyone had any luck with moving any other files from the Max over to another platform?

Attached Files
.txt   logcat 1.txt (Size: 135.82 KB / Downloads: 119)
.txt   logcat 2.txt (Size: 135.82 KB / Downloads: 166)
I think there's a method that does a couple of checks in the APK (on some games).
The names are obfuscated, but from what I remember, it checks a couple of things like the prop file to see what platform the apk is running on. method(a.c ?) can't remember 100% was a few months back.

But basically if you modify that method to return true, that's pretty much it.

edit:
I had a quick look again, and I think its com.vt.c.a method a():boolean
patch that to just return true. I think I used d2j-jar2jasmin then edited the jasmin code to load and return 1.
There's probably an easier way tho..

Mick
So I'm gonna guess the apk is self contained and has a hardware check from what you said. After the patch does the apk need to be resigned or did you use a rooted tablet so that it wouldn't require a signed apk?
What program do you use to edit the script once I have it extracted? All I can see when I pull it up in Notepad++ is the boolean value and not a 1 or 0 to change
Just edit it in notepad++.
(file I was editing was /com/vtech/innotab/a/a.j)

Look for the existing .method public a()Z and replace all of that method with something like:

.method public a()Z
iconst_1
ireturn
.end method

The code above basically says.. Load 1, and return it (true).

I resigned the package afterwards.

Mick
(02-15-2016, 11:58 AM)is0-mick Wrote: Just edit it in notepad++.
(file I was editing was  /com/vtech/innotab/a/a.j)

Look for the existing .method public a()Z and replace all of that method with something like:

.method public a()Z
iconst_1
ireturn
.end method

The code above basically says.. Load 1, and return it (true).

I resigned the package afterwards.

Mick

I hope you are still around and looking at this but here I go. I finally got around to getting to this and it seems to actually be in /com/vtech/innotab/c/a.j that has the instruction set that you have outlined. I have it modified through jar2jasmin but that is where I am stuck. When I go to compile the file back to jar it throws up an error about the existing code.

line 16:4 mismatched character "" expecting '''
line 16:12 no viable alternative at input ':'
line 16:13 no viable alternative at character '/'
line 16:14 no viable alternative at character '/'

Followed by:
java.lang.nullPointerException

it shows a bunch of issues with the code at certain places. Have you run into this? Any clue where I can go from here to get the files recoded? Any help would be appreciated. I feel like I am so close.
Thanks.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Yep, still around Smile may be not quite as often as I used to be tho...

Looks like its not been edited correctly. Might want to try just decompiling and re-compiling first without any changes, see if the problem is with your edit or the decompiling / recompiling process.
It's been a fair while since I looked at any of this...

Mick
If you're still interested I did find some pictures that I posted when I did this ages ago.

Innotab max paw patrol modded and running on a 7" samsung galaxy tablet
http://imgur.com/a/37dAR

Mick
(01-23-2017, 08:50 AM)is0-mick Wrote: If you're still interested I did find some pictures that I posted when I did this ages ago.

Innotab max paw patrol modded and running on a 7" samsung galaxy tablet
http://imgur.com/a/37dAR

Mick

That stuff's 'swell mate! This should in theory work on any Innotab game, yes? If that's the case, and if the code to locking down the game is common to most if not all games, an automated utility for converting Innotab APKs to normal Android apps should be possible, but that's just wishful thinking on my part.