Hello There, Guest! Register
Enjoy our site and services? You may donate to help fund server and domain costs. Donate Here for special benefits. You have donated $

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I3 (US) Firmware v74.40521: can't backup firmware to upload/mod it
I posted in the "Firmware" thread but thought this might be the more correct way to post an issue:

I just got an Innotab 3 (not 's') and it was on the v33.30621, for which the link was dead. So I followed the advice here and updated the firmware hoping it would update to one of the already modded versions, but alas it updated to v74.40521. So I started looking at modding it myself. But when I rename my LLN folder to LLN_OLD, copy everything from "InnoTab_Backup.zip" to the the root directory, and disconnect the Tab, I see nothing in the Games folder or elsewhere to run. What am I missing? How do I make a backup? Thanks for any help!

Edit: I also tried following the tutorial for extracting firmware from a UGDX file but the last step didn't work (It failed to find the hex values to create the rootfs portion) so I'm still stuck.
I am sorry, but it has been too long since i've done any innotab stuff. I don't remember how the backup script works. I would assume it would show up unless perhaps the latest firmware blocks it. Also be sure you are putting it on the SD card and NOT the internal memory.
That was it! Thank you thank you! I hadn't even realized there was an SD card slot! I put one in, formatted it, put the files on it and there it was. Now to try the linux stuff to MOD it myself... Is it just one line that I need to remove? Change? One section? Something about removing the line the prevents it from loading apps from the SD card? I'm just not sure what I'm looking for now. Thanks again! I'm off to make a Linux Live USB stick now...
Alright, so in the meantime while I learn the ropes of what's going on here with modding the files, I wouldn't object if someone would be so awesomely helpful as to beat me to it. I think I'm already in over my head as it is trying to figure out which files to look at once I unsquash it. Here's the link for the firmware if anyone can help.

InnoTab 3, US, v74.40521

http://www6.zippyshare.com/v/uaCswCU9/file.html

One step at a time! But if we can get this working, it'd be much appreciated. It's so close to being a useful gadget!
If you are familiar with programming at all, it is an if statement that you need to adjust. You also need to add code to remount the SD card as executable so the apps will run from it since they changed that in a later firmware. Easiest way is to look for the run_app file from your backup and from a modified firmware and compare the 2 files. You will then see what was adjusted.
(02-14-2016, 09:06 PM)Deak Phreak Wrote: If you are familiar with programming at all, it is an if statement that you need to adjust.  You also need to add code to remount the SD card as executable so the apps will run from it since they changed that in a later firmware.  Easiest way is to look for the run_app file from your backup and from a modified firmware and compare the 2 files.  You will then see what was adjusted.

Ok, so the only changes are to the run_app file? I think I can handle that. I'll start comparing.

Upon looking, I found a "runapp" file in the bin->vtech folder, but didn't see a "run_app" file right away. It looks like there are some changes like what you described, so I'm going to go with that, but correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks!
Yup sorry, was thinking of the my_run file with the custom scripts. That is the file "RunApp". As long as the only parts changed are in that if statement, removing a few lines and adding a few then you can just use the modified RunApp instead of patching yours. Most of them are the same so you can just copy the modified one in place of yours and then squash it.
Good news and bad news. I (think) I got it to flash by commenting out the check for signature as well as changing the filename and removing the check for RunApp~. It rebooted and did the "Firmware updating" screen. But when I try to run Angry Birds it loads the spinning dot wheel and goes back to the Games page. I was assuming the default configuration would have everything set for Angry Birds with regards to the _Run and the .db files and such. Was that a wrong assumption? Did I miss another step?

I went back and started comparing the RunApp files just to be sure. Beyond the section about mounting the SD card, mine also contains some lines about maxcart that the modded file does not have. Were those removed for the mod, or is it something specific to the new firmware that I should leave in tact? Aside from those differences they are identical, so I had simply used the pre-modded RunApp file with the maxcart lines removed. Could that cause trouble?
Thanks!
Upload your RunApp file somewhere and post the link. I will take a look at it.