Spiffy Hacks
Help compiling - Printable Version

+- Spiffy Hacks (http://spiffyhacks.com)
+-- Forum: LeapFrog LeapPad (http://spiffyhacks.com/forum-7.html)
+--- Forum: LeapPad 2 (http://spiffyhacks.com/forum-9.html)
+--- Thread: Help compiling (/thread-874.html)

Pages: 1 2

Help compiling - Deak Phreak - 01-16-2016

If anyone is more tech saavy at cross-compiling and wants to have a go at helping me get some emulators running on the LeapPad 2, I am happy to send a tablet with the emulators for helping out.  My goal is to create a boot app that lets the user choose which emulator to run. Then maybe with AdvanceMENU have it load up a list of roms for that emulator.

I have gotten FCEU to compile and run, just without controls or sound.  I can't seem to get the latest FCEUX to compile without errors.  I have not looked into Snes, Sega or Atari emulators yet.

RE: Help compiling - guiguiaspi - 03-13-2016

YYYYYYYYYYYYYes !

Please search help on GBATemp !!!

I have a Leappad 2 but i cant help u ! Thanks you for the all job on Leap pad 2 .

RE: Help compiling - kittensauce - 01-10-2017

Hi - I'm new to this forum (although I have been snooping around for quite a while). I'm interested in getting into development for the LeapPad 2, and it seems like this would be a good place to start. Or maybe it isn't, and I'm getting ahead of myself. In any case, I'd like to help!
I don't know much about C, honestly - but I'm planning on learning. So I've been reading here and there, and I think that FCEUX doesn't run because it uses C++, while FCEU uses just C. But I haven't been able to get much information about what FCEU was written in, so I can't say for sure. AdvanceMENU requires SDL - have we ported SDL to the LeapPad 2 yet? I figure it wouldn't be too hard, as it's based on C/C++. Then again, we still can't get even an emulator to work with controls (but at least it works).
On the topic of controls - I'm guessing we'd need a GUI, no? As the screen is resistive (from what I can observe), it'll only accept one input at a time, so we would have to use the directional pad as well as a GUI. Unless... would it be possible to hook up a controller to a serial cartridge? Or maybe even a keyboard?
Sorry if any of this is wrong, or is just a waste of time. I'm just really interested in breaking everything I touch. Smile

RE: Help compiling - Deak Phreak - 01-11-2017

I believe we have SDL that works on the device. I had no experience compiling before, then talked with Mick to helped walk me through the process. Josh then wrote a tutorial on it to help others get started. http://spiffyhacks.com/thread-814.html

I'd still really love to get the device to boot up to an emulator, but did not make much process on my own so I have moved on for now.

RE: Help compiling - kittensauce - 01-13-2017

(01-11-2017, 01:19 PM)Deak Phreak Wrote: I believe we have SDL that works on the device. I had no experience compiling before, then talked with Mick to helped walk me through the process. Josh then wrote a tutorial on it to help others get started. http://spiffyhacks.com/thread-814.html

I'd still really love to get the device to boot up to an emulator, but did not make much process on my own so I have moved on for now.

I've compiled Buildroot, following the guide you mentioned. Using the rootfs.tar it generated, I can run buildroot on the device itself, correct? How I would do that, I'm not particularly sure...
Buildroot also compiled GCC, yes? So I can compile any C/C++ program (that supports ARM), and I could theoretically run that program with the rootfs created?
Also, the guide mentions "TODO: Add paths". Of course, I realize that some steps are missing, as they have yet to be added. Do you know what these steps might be, in relation to the "TODO" bit?
I'm definitely missing something here; any help would be much appreciated.

RE: Help compiling - Deak Phreak - 01-13-2017

I am not sure what paths he was talking about in the TODO section.  Once you have the buildroot ready to go, then yes, you should be able to compile apps to run on the device.  I grabbed the open source Doom and had quite the time trying to get it to compile, but once done, it created the application file.  I could then launch that on the device either with SSH or creating an "app" for it and installing it with the LeapPad Manager.

I attached my LeapPad Doom files minus the doom.wad file.  This has the SDL libraries the game needed to run correctly.  It also only ran on the Ultra and not the LeapPad 2.  I am not sure if I still have my buildroot setup since that was in a virtual machine I believe and quite a while ago.

(01-13-2017, 05:24 PM)Deak Phreak Wrote: I am not sure what paths he was talking about in the TODO section.  Once you have the buildroot ready to go, then yes, you should be able to compile apps to run on the device.  I grabbed the open source Doom and had quite the time trying to get it to compile, but once done, it created the application file.  I could then launch that on the device either with SSH or creating an "app" for it and installing it with the LeapPad Manager.

I attached my LeapPad Doom files minus the doom.wad file.  This has the SDL libraries the game needed to run correctly.  It also only ran on the Ultra and not the LeapPad 2.  I am not sure if I still have my buildroot setup since that was in a virtual machine I believe and quite a while ago.

Oh, very nice work!
You say that once I have Buildroot setup, I should be able to compile anything made with C(++) - yet when I run "gcc -v", it displays the version as 5.4.0, while I suspect it should be 4.9.3, as was built in Buildroot. Could it be that the TODO section might have to do with this?
Also, do you have any idea why DOOM won't run on the LeapPad 2? From what I've seen, it runs on both the LeapTV and the LeapPad Ultra, and the LeapPad 2 (as far as I know) has the same ARM chip as both of them.
Thanks for answering my questions, it really helps. Smile

Sorry, I can't help much more with the actual setup. Mick walked me through most of it when I was doing it and hardly knew what I was doing ha ha. I assume you should be able to compile anything. Yea the paths might have been to point the compiler to the correct one. I do remember a lot of playing around with settings and path info so it compiles correctly.

I can't remember why doom didn't work. Might have been a memory issue or video issue. I remember one of the games I tested ran, but the video was all glitchy.

(01-13-2017, 07:27 PM)Deak Phreak Wrote: Sorry, I can't help much more with the actual setup.  Mick walked me through most of it when I was doing it and hardly knew what I was doing ha ha.  I assume you should be able to compile anything.  Yea the paths might have been to point the compiler to the correct one. I do remember a lot of playing around with settings and path info so it compiles correctly.  

I can't remember why doom didn't work.  Might have been a memory issue or video issue.  I remember one of the games I tested ran, but the video was all glitchy.

Ah, okay. I don't particularly have much idea as to what I'm doing, either. Tongue
Looks like I have something to work on, then. I can only imagine how many childrens' tablets I'll brick on my wonderful journey.
I hope that it's possible to get DOOM to work. Not that I play it anyway; it would just be pretty cool.
Thanks again for answering my questions. Very helpful Smile

It takes a lot of work, especially if you don't really know what you are doing. That is why I ended up giving up. Had too many other things to do and was taking to much of my time. If I get around to it, I can look up to see if I still have my VM image and see if buildroot is still on it if I do.